Wednesday 15 May 2013

Glossolalia by Marita Dachsel

Date: 2013
Publisher: Anvil Press Publishers
Pages: 93
Genre: Poetry, Religion, Feminism
ISBN: 978-1-927380-40-6
Rating: 5/5

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the grand opening of a new bookstore in my hometown. At the event, three authors did a reading of their works and we were also given refreshments and cake. Marita Dachsel was one of these authors, and she read from her book of poetry Glossolalia. This was my first exposure to Dachsel's poetry and it made an impact. I was also fortunate enough to speak to this lovely author and have her sign my copy!

Glossolalia is a collection of poems from the perspective of Joseph Smith's wives. Smith was the founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which is a Mormon church. He engaged in polygamy and this book tells the perspectives of marriage from his thirty four wives.

These poems are touching, dark, funny, raw, and leave you stunned in your seat. Her words flow so well and then when you least expect it, you get hit with a sudden, raw emotion. The endings of each poem really resonated with me and I felt I could connect to many of these wives in sharing some aspects of their emotions.

I would suggest this book of poetry for anyone interested in poetry (great for beginners, not confusing at all!), feminism, history, the contrast between self and role, and religion. Not only is the content amazing, but Dachsel's writing is extraordinary and a real treat to read. Please give this one a try - you won't be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment